Planning to get some great discounts on your key Christmas purchases this Black Friday? It’s also a great opportunity to save money for your PTA and make your fundraising efforts go further. Got a tech fund to spend? Don’t forget about Cyber Monday too.
What to buy?
Pre-approved items for the school from the PTA fund
- Raised money for a technology fund? Retailers offer substantial discounts on iPads, laptops, cameras.
- Educational toys for the younger years and games for the afterschool club.
- Outdoor equipment – get money off sheds and outdoor storage units.
- Sports equipment.
- Stock up on supplies for your events – we’ve seen offers on wine, soft drinks and other storable items.
- PTA equipment – do you need to invest in your PTA equipment?
- Star prizes for the raffle.
- Teacher’s presents.
Plan ahead. Tips from the experts:
1. Follow relevant retailers on social media and sign up for their newsletters to hear about any discounts of sales.
2. Set your budget to avoid overspending and help you make the right decision in the moment.
3. Make sure you look at the price not the price reduction – check that you can’t get it cheaper elsewhere.
4. Look at online deals as well as in store. If you are braving the stores then aim to get there early, and if you’ve found a better price online ask if at the till if they will price match it.
5. Maximise your savings by buying donating any cashback to the PTA using a service like easyfundraising. It’s a win-win. Ask the parents to do the same for their own Black Friday spending. Post a reminder on Classlist.
6. Many retailers run their discounts over the whole weekend and into CyberMonday too when many technology retailers release new deals.
If Black Friday isn’t your thing, find a parent who loves it. Is there someone you know who gets a buzz from buying and selling on ebay? Or always seems to know about the latest deal. Make them your Head of Buying.